Posted on 13/05/2021 by Nick Boulton
Believe it or not, I joined Client Server as a graduate. (Cue the “old” jokes from the cheap seats…)
I didn’t go through the obvious graduate route straight out of uni, but it was my first proper commercial job after 7+ years of worldly experience. I wouldn’t change a thing. (Well, maybe minus a couple of recessions, a few bad hires and a global pandemic…but who’s counting?)
Recruitment is not for everyone, but let’s face it, the vast majority of us fell into it at one point or another. It’s a fantastic industry to be involved in, challenging, rewarding and frustrating in equal measurements.
What is exciting is more and more people are actually choosing it as their preferred career path. Recruitment is no longer seen as a stop-gap or as a temporary home for the indecisive, it’s now the job of choice for many graduates or school leavers.
Many of our best consultants have come through our grad scheme:
- 6 out of 10 of our Senior Management joined as grads
- 9 out of 16 shareholders joined as grads
- In our 2020 Sales League, 7 out of the top 10 Consultants joined as grads
I think you might be getting the picture, joining us as a graduate has its opportunities. It’s also extremely telling about the quality of our graduate scheme and training program that there are so many success stories.
That’s why we’re relaunching our Grad Scheme. We’re looking to bring on board a cohort of people new to the world of work and train them the Client Server way.
And what kind of person would thrive in our Grad Scheme? If you have these traits, it will serve you well:
- Resilience – The most important trait needed in recruitment. You have so many highs and lows, definitely more lows than highs, you need to be able to ride that rollercoaster of emotion. You are dealing with people and things change all the time, you need to be able to roll with the punches and get back up immediately. There is no time for self-pity in recruitment.
- Determination – A given in any sales and target led job, you need to never give up! (Snowflakes need not apply!)
- Competitiveness – If you are not competitive in everything you do, that doesn’t need to always be against others it can be yourself, then don’t even bother of thinking of a career in recruitment. Every day is a challenge and you need to approach it with a completive can-do attitude or you will fail.
- Personality – One of the things I love about our industry is one size definitely does not fit all. Recruitment attracts people from every walk of life and every background but what they do all have in common is a dearth of personality. You need it, this job will make you laugh, cry, want to punch someone—and that will all be before lunch on a Monday. But all successful consultants have personality. They each bring uniqueness to the job, which is why candidates and clients love working with them and always remember them.
Client Server offers a fantastic opportunity to kick start your career in recruitment. You will receive unrivalled training, support and a career path with absolutely no barrier to success and progression other than the limitations you put on yourself.
If you have little or no commercial experience and are thinking of a job in recruitment then apply here:
Driven by technology, powered by people
Let's start the conversation
Follow Client Server on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.