Being offered another job that requires you to relocate can be a major factor in your decision making. Before you pack your bags and drop your keys through the letter box, there are many factors to consider before deciding if relocation is right for you.
Where are you moving?
- What is the area like? Research potential locations and consider the cost of living locally, e.g. housing costs, travel, etc.
- Research the local culture, as cultural shifts may cause some individuals issues with adaptability and ability to cope with change.
- If you've got a partner, will they be able to find work? Research the local market to research job prospects.
- If you have children, will they be happy? Are suitable schooling options close-by?
- Will you and your family be happy in your new location? This is a difficult question answer without living there, however use research to inform an instinctual decision. You may be able to speak to someone else in the company about coping with the transition.
- What is the outlook for your new job? How is the company doing? Is there clear progression within your role?
- What if things don't work out? If it came to the worst, be sure to plan what you would do and whether you can afford to either move again locally or back.
Explore Client Server
Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook